Sunday, March 26, 2006

Transition


I was reading Zach Lind's (the drummer of Jimmy Eat World) blog and just checking out what he has been writing about. I read this post he wrote about where and how his life with Jesus walks in step with the church. Broader than that, he talks about the gap between the church and the rest of the world. I was listening to parachutes by coldplay as i read and was instantly directed to the song "High Speed". Check out the lyrics:
Can anybody fly this thing?
Before my head explodes
Or my head starts to ring
We've been living life inside a bubble
We've been living life inside a bubble
Confidence in you
Is confidence in me
Is confidence in high speed.
The reality is that i probably have grossly misinterpreted the words but so be it. They fit so well. I am in a place right now that feels so weird. Weird in a good way. When i first became a Christian I had this sort of pride about coming into a life with Jesus, but still having worldly experience. I felt as if i had some special connection to people who didn't know Jesus, because i was just there, and that i could somehow speak to them better than someone who had been a Christian their whole life. It will be nine years now in July and things are different. I still feel this desire to be that bridge between the church and the secular world but sometimes I catch myself saying things or feeling certain ways that are so far from that bridge. "Church" thoughts you know? Then i go into this sort of sub-concious battle in my head. The best way i can describe it is as if I was Donald Miller's friend that he writes about in Blue Like Jazz. He explaine how his friend felt that the best way to read the Bible was to do it while smoking and eating Chocolate. I love that! I have been growing into this place where i have just been getting so tired of the same old church thing that i never thought i would get stuck in. It's like the Coldplay song. I am in a place where i am looking for someone to grab the wheel and drive before i go crazy. I need to make sure that Church doesn't become a bubble, but that i treat it as an experience with God that will speak to people. In reading Zach Lind's blog, having friends like Jon, reading books and listening to people like Don Miller and Rob Bell, i see something new. I'll write more later but does that make sense so far?

2 comments:

nico said...

i totally know what you mean with the coldplay song. donald miller's book is so good. have you read velvet elvis by rob bell yet? it's soo right there as well.

Jon said...

you should check out zach's 2nd to newest one. it's great. make sure you read the comments after the article though. that makes it worthwile.